Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Smile On Seniors to the Rescue

After reading the article from Austin, Texas, -about the way Smile On Seniors makes such a difference...I wanted to share a story. Something that I was a part of last summer....
Every Shabbas, various SOS volunteers visit a local senior facility here in West Orange, NJ. I was one of those volunteers on a day in July. Looking back, it's pretty amazing to me that when I awoke on that particular day, I had no idea that I was going to make such a difference to one particular person in my life.
I had seen my SOS buddy the prior day and she had agreed to meet me in the lobby of the building for the Shabbat program. Well, she was always on time. She said she would be there, and I was sure she would be. I waited, trying to stall the start of the program for everyone...and began to worry. I phoned up to her room several times, but no answer. I thought that perhaps she went out for the day. No one had seen her recently. Not knowing what to make of it, and just to be sure all was okay, I decided to take the elevator up to her room. As I stepped on to her floor, approaching her room, I heard moaning. Her door was unlocked. I entered, calling her name...only to find her face down on the floor of her apartment. She was concious, but in pain. I pressed the button on her wrist alert band--with no response. I didn't see the phone...I yelled out the door for assistance, and an employee came. I had the employee stay with my buddy, certain not to move her at all. I had to get immediate medical attention. I have never run so fast in my entire life. I knew what I had to do. Within minutes, a full medical staff was there as my buddy was taken to the ER via ambulance. Thank G-d I was in the right place at the right time. Fortunately, she recovered from her fall with a broken wrist and nothing worse. It could have been much worse. She said she was walking to the bathroom without her walker. I'm sure she never did that again. And that day was confirmation of how very much the Smile On Seniors programs, throughtout the world, can really make a difference in the life of a senior. I am glad I was able to help.

1 comment:

Smile On Seniors said...

Wow,
Julie, thank G-d you went to visit with her that day!
Keep it up!